Opportunities: Vacancies, Postdoctoral fellows, Postgraduate studies
LECTURER/ SENIOR LECTURER or RESEARCH OFFICER/SENIOR RESEARCH OFFICER (5 year contract)
University of Aberdeen AFGrica Unit at the IDM, University of Cape Town
The University of Aberdeen AFGrica Unit, based in the Division of Medical Microbiology and IDM at the University of Cape Town, is the world's first international research Centre for tackling fungal infections on the African continent.
The incumbent will be appointed to Lecturer or Senior Lecturer level, and must have a track record of research in the field.
- MD/ MBBCh or PhD in Microbiology, Immunology, or other relevant discipline
- At least 3 years of postdoctoral experience with some in the field of Medical Mycology
- Track record of peer-reviewed publications in international journals
- Experience in (co)-supervision of postgraduate students and/or junior staff
Closing date for applications: 28 February 2018
Interested applicants are invited to seek a host via the Members of the IDM. Contact details are provided online. Please provide a full academic CV when first enquiring.
Note the UCT Guidelines for other general information, which apply for any postdoctoral fellow appointed in the IDM.
POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP in the UCT HIV-TB Immunology Group
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP in the UCT HIV-TB Immunology Group - a group of the Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine (IDM), UCT.
This is an opportunity to be part of an exciting, active research team involved in understanding aspects of HIV pathogenesis. The successful applicant will be involved in conducting research within the two areas that the lab focuses on, namely investigating cellular mechanisms contributing to the development of broadly neutralizing antibodies in HIV infection, as well as studying HIV-TB co-infection, and how HIV affects the immune response to TB.
Requirements include principally:
- A PhD in immunology or related area; having obtained their PhD degree within 5 years and have not held any permanent academic or professional posts.
- Relevant experience in an immunology laboratory, including working with clinical samples
- Experience in advanced flow cytometry
- Knowledge of HIV and TB desirable
Due date for applications: 10 November 2017
Applications for postgraduate degrees are made through UCT; for more information see here.
Interested applicants for research-based postgraduate degrees are invited to seek a supervisor for their Masters or PhD degrees, via Members of the IDM. Members are either based within the Faculty of Science or (predominantly) within the Faculty of Health Sciences at UCT. Contact details for each Member are provided online.
Further enquiries can be made via Heather Davies-Coleman, IDM Research Administration Manager: