Wellcome Centre for Infectious Diseases Research in Africa (CIDRI-Africa)
The Wellcome Centre for Infectious Diseases Research in Africa (CIDRI-Africa) was officially launched in April 2017. The Centre evolved from the previously-known Wellcome Trust-funded Clinical Infectious Diseases Research Initiative (CIDRI), following new funding from the Wellcome Trust.
The Centre will be directed by Honorary Professor Robert J Wilkinson, supported by co-applicants representing departments and divisions across the Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine (IDM) and the Faculty of Health Sciences, UCT.
The Centre supports 3 platforms:
- Clinical - led by Professor Graeme Meintjes from the Department of Medicine and the IDM
- Biosafety Level III Laboratory – led by Professor Valerie Mizrahi, Director of the IDM
- Biomedical Data Integration – jointly led by Professors Nicola Mulder, Head of Computational Biology and the IDM, and Andrew Boulle from School of Public Health and Family Medicine
The additional co-applicants to the Wellcome Trust who also form the Steering Committee for the Centre are:
- Professor Bongani Mayosi – Dean Faculty of Health Sciences
- Professor Gary Maartens – Head of Clinical Pharmacology
- Professor Carolyn Williamson, Division of Medical Virology
- Professor Clifton Barry – Honorary Professor, UCT; National Institutes of Health, USA
- Professor Mark Nicol – Head of Division, Medical Microbiology
- Associate Professor Tom Scriba – Deputy Director Immunology: SATVI
- Professor Frank Brombacher – Scientific Co-ordinator and Group Leader, ICGEB-CT and based in the IDM
See CIDRI-Africa: (www.cidri.uct.ac.za)
The Crick African Network is supported by the Global Challenges Research Fund of Research Councils (UK). The Francis Crick Institute (London) is a registered charity whose purpose is to conduct biomedical research into all aspects of human health and disease. The Crick is a world-leading centre of biomedical research and innovation. It promotes connections between researchers and disciplines and between academic institutions, healthcare organisations and businesses. Professor Robert J. Wilkinson is Group Leader and Director, Crick African Network, and is based at both The Francis Crick Institute, and CIDRI-Africa in the Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine (IDM) at UCT.